At Home and Work
GO GREEN IN THE HOME
Sustainability is a big idea to get your head around, for all of us. But it’s also really simple. It’s about thinking where your food, clothes, energy and other products come from and deciding whether you should buy and consume these things. Judgements we make everyday in our lives. We can choose to fight climate change.
It seems that every day more and more people are becoming aware of the challenges facing us. Working to stop climate change may become the defining virtue of the global community in the 21st century- and it all starts at home. On the simplest level it’s about rethinking eating and drinking habits, and committing to saving water, saving energy, reducing waste and reducing vehicle use.
Click here for an easy test of how your home and lifestyle rates.
On a national and global level the agreement is that there are two main ways we can reduce our dependency on highly polluting fossil fuels:
- Being much more efficient with our energy use. In industry this is described as “fruit on the ground”. It doesn’t take much to make huge savings. A free Home Sustainability Assessment from SIS will get you there quick.
- Using renewable (clean) energy. We have great solar resources and using energy from the sun simply makes common sense. Solar hot water and PV (electricity) systems are getting cheaper and they will not only save you a lot of money over time, they will make your home more attractive to future buyers.
HERE TO A GREENER BUSINESS
GO GREEN AT WORK
Whether small or large your business will profit from saving energy.
The case for energy efficiency- a convenient truth.
A McKinsey & Co analysis determin ed that “Almost 40% of abatement could be achieved at ‘negative’ marginal costs, meaning that investing in these options would generate positive economic returns over their life cycle.”
Energy efficiency is the most important climate solution for several reasons:
- It is by far the biggest resource.
- It is by far the cheapest, far cheaper than the current cost of unsustainable energy, and so cheap that it helps pay for the other solutions.
- It is by far the fastest to deploy.
- It is “renewable” — the efficiency potential never runs out. It just makes sense for your business to be more energy efficient.